Winter has come in full force this past week. HOLY COW! We have been snowed in for about three days...the girls finally went back to school yesterday. (20 day winter break...oy!) When it gets cold, I just want soup all day, every day! It's such a comfort food.
I have 3 tasty soups up my sleeve for the next week...get excited!
This soup is super easy and it resembles my favorite Broccoli Cheddar soup from Panera. Now if only I could bake a perfect bread bowl!
You can leave this soup chunky, blend it or use a hand blender. Whatever floats your boat! Also, there is the issue of using frozen or fresh broccoli. It's totally up to you. I highly recommend the frozen organic broccoli from Costco. You can get a 4 pound bag for $5.99 and they are conveniently broken into 1 pound bags. If you don't have a Costco, just try to find frozen broccoli florets. Fresh tastes amazing too, of course!
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped (red or white)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 bouillon cube (my secret to amazing soups!)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup Skim Milk (or I use plain Almond Milk)- adding more if needed
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 2-3 cups chopped broccoli florets, chopped (see above for my input on frozen vs. fresh)
- 1- 1.5 cups Cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add onion and cook 2-3 minutes, until soft. Sprinkle in flour and nutmeg. Cook for no longer than 1 minute.
- Slowly add milk. Mixture will get very thick.
- Add stock, bouillon cube and carrots. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat to dissolve cube. Mixture will thicken. Add broccoli and cheese. Let bubble for 3-5 more minutes.
- Once the broccoli is cooked, you can serve chunky or blend. (I like to leave a few larger chunks of broccoli). Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top with additional cheese.
Did you know I'm on Facebook? Check it out!