I have a major addiction to Crystal Light margaritas. Ricky was actually surprised I didn't bring the mix with me to Mexico (I should have!). Once you go back to regular margaritas, they are hard to handle! Talk about headaches and heartburn! Sugar free is the way to go!
I got the idea for this drink a while ago. We were watching Jersey Shore last season (I know...I know...) and was fascinated when Ronny makes the Ron-Ron juice. I saw him put watermelon in the blender with some rum or vodka. Instead of thinking: "hey, they look way too drunk whenever they drink this", I was intrigued.
Fun fact: In Rachael Ray's magazine this month, they did a test and concluded that it is actually cheaper to buy the pre-cut watermelon. Since the rind isn't weighed as it is with the whole watermelon, it is much cheaper by pound. Good to know, isn't it? I can't wait when it goes down to $0.49/lb.
We also have an abundance of mint in our herb garden, so I have been trying to figure out what the heck to do with it all. I can only drink so many mojitos and cucumber/mint water!
Take this with you for a 4th of July party (or any cookout) and you will be a rockstar! Beware, you will want to drink many of these...you can't even taste the tequila.
Here's what you need:
- Crystal Light margarita packets
- Don't follow the directions, just mix 3 cups of water with the packet.
- Watermelon, seedless (2 cups, cut)
- Fresh mint (8-10 leaves), plus more to top
- Limes to garnish
- Make the margarita mix, as stated above.
- In a chopper or blender, combine mint and watermelon. Add a touch of agave (or 1/2 teaspoon sugar) and sprinkle of salt. Sounds strange, but it adds a nice touch.
- I would make a larger batch...it stays fresh in the fridge for about 5 days. If you are mixing for a crowd, just multiply everything. Super simple!
Mix it up!
In a glass, filled with ice, combine:
- 1 shot of tequila (we like Patron)
- 1/2 cup margarita mix
- 1/4 cup watermelon mint mix
Drink it up! Since these are slim margaritas, you won't feel as bad having a few drinks! Well, that is my philosophy at least.
|Gotta have my UW shot glass!|
If watermelon really isn't your thing, try my regular margarita recipe. You will still be a rockstar, I promise!
If you want to turn this into a mocktail, just add lemon lime soda instead of tequila!