I accidentally came up with this recipe last week when I was craving my Turkey Meatball Minestrone. The store was out of basil (so annoying...), so I was about to give up until I thought of the pesto I have in the fridge. This makes a big batch, perfect for 2-3 meals. Stick them in the freezer and you will be set for a month or two!
|The cookie sheet cooks them so perfectly! A definite must!|
- 1 package of lean ground turkey (usually runs 1.25 lbs)
- 1 package of turkey Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- 1/2- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Italian seasoning (I love the grinder by McCormicks) and S&P to taste
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a food processor, add onion and pesto. Blend. Although this is not necessary, I like to finely chop the onion this way, rather than with a knife. If you want, add an extra tablespoon of pesto.
- In a large bowl, add ground turkey and remove the sausages from the cases. Mix them together.
- Add onion mixture, breadcrumbs (start with 1/2 cup), egg and Parmesan. Mix with your hands. If the combination seems a bit wet still, add more breadcrumbs.
- Roll into meatballs and place on a cookie sheet with a cooling rack on top. This will make sure they cook all the way around.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until brown.