I love baked potato soup and I have tried many recipes, but I always go back to this one. It's super easy and tasty. I wish I could remember what magazine I got this from, but I have no clue. When I worked at Macys (2004...forever ago!), I was in the customer service department and I would get so bored at night. They had stacks and stacks of old magazines sitting in there from a co-worker and I used to write down recipes out of them. This is one of those. I also found a great broccoli cheddar soup that tastes like Panera's. I'll have to share that also!
- 1/4 cup butter (half of a stick)
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock (I find I use a bit more...it gets very thick)
- 12 oz. can of evaporated milk (I like the skim version...any will do)
- 2-3 large potatoes baked (leftover mashed potatoes work also, about 2-3 cups)
- Toppings (all optional): bacon, chives, cheese, crackers
- I always pop the potatoes in the microwave on the potato setting (8-10 minutes) earlier in the day. Just make sure they have cooled a bit before you start making this. Chopping the hot potatoes is not fun!
- In a pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 1-2 minutes until soft. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually add milk and broth. I like to add the milk first. Turn heat down to low until potatoes are added.
- Scoop pulp from one potato and mash with a fork. Add to soup pot. Chop the rest of the potatoes, with or without the skin, and add to soup.
- Cook over medium until the soup comes to just a boil. Season with s&p.
Enjoy! Make this with some grilled sandwiches and you have an amazing dinner in less than 20 minutes!
What's your favorite soup?