After making some adjustments, I have learned to save almost the same amount of money. It's sad watching that crazy Extreme Couponing show and realizing some areas of this country TRIPLE coupons. I can't even imagine!
Here are some tips for everyone in the land of no doubles (or LOND in bloggy world).
- Shop early in the day. Especially Monday or Tuesday.
- As the shelves are restocked, they mark down boxes that are not so pretty (ripped, smashed, etc). Look for big orange stickers. With cereal and crackers, this doesn't matter because the food is in another bag inside. Who cares what the box looks like! You can save 50% or more. Use that with a coupon and you are getting super cheap items. I stay away from cans, unless it is just the tag that is ripped.
- Reduced produce carts go out early, as well. I was almost stalking the produce lady last Tuesday when I realized she was marking down items. I got 20lbs of Gala apples for $5...perfect for applesauce and baby food. I also get potatoes, onions, grapes, berries (watch out for mold!), citrus.
- Don't be afraid of markdowns in the meat section. You can get great cuts of meat cheaper. Stay away from browning meat, though! I just repackage once I get home and throw it in the freezer. Chicken breasts have been my favorite find lately, they bake quickly for a weeknight meal.
- By the salad mix are bags of broccoli, stir-fry mix, squash, etc, I LOVE these bags because I always can find at least one marked 40% off ($1.20) and they steam right in the microwave. So quick and easy. If I find a lot, I throw them in the freezer.
- On other non-food items, markdowns are done overnight or early.
- Target has a set markdown schedule (great to know if you are watching an item):
- Monday: Kids Clothing, Stationary Items, Electronics, Baby
Tuesday: Domestics, Food, Women’s Clothing, Pets
Wednesday: Men’s Clothing, Toys, HBA, Lawn and Garden
Thursday: Housewares, Shoes, Lingerie, Sporting Goods, Media, Books Friday: Auto, Cosmetics, Hardware, Jewelry
Tomorrow, I'll cover more tips, including how to shop the sales ads!